• Google Bookmarks
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Digg
  • reddit
State Government
Governor Offers $5000 Reward In OC GOP Firebombing PDF Print E-mail
State Government
By Administrator   
Wednesday, 19 October 2016 11:34
Governor Pat McCrory announced today that the state is offering a reward of up to $5,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for the firebombing that occurred at the Orange County Republican Headquarters.
"The firebombing of a local political headquarters was clearly an act of intimidation and I'm going to do everything I can to find the individual or individuals who committed this assault on our democracy," said Governor McCrory. "I remain committed to using every resource as governor to assist local authorities in this investigation."
On Sunday morning, October 16, 2016, at approximately 8:58 a.m., it was reported through the Orange County Communications Center that a fire had occurred at the Headquarters located at 347 Ja-Max Dr. in Hillsborough. The fire caused significant damage before extinguishing itself.
Anyone having information concerning this case should contact the State Bureau of Investigation at (919) 662-4500.
Last Updated on Wednesday, 19 October 2016 11:38
Matthew Death Toll Stands At 25 PDF Print E-mail
State Government
By Administrator   
Monday, 17 October 2016 12:44
Governor Pat McCrory visited flood-affected areas in Craven and Pender counties today, and provided an update on the ongoing recovery efforts in response to flooding brought by Hurricane Matthew.
"The teamwork and preparation by officials in Craven and Pender counties has helped save lives. While our recovery efforts are going strong, we still have many people who need assistance," said Governor McCrory. "The good news is that most of the rivers have now crested and are currently receding, but we still have a long way to go."
The number of storm-related fatalities now stands at 25. A previously reported fatality in Robeson County has since been attributed to a separate cause of death.
The governor announced that additional federal assistance is now available for residents in three counties. Martin County is now eligible for both public and individual assistance and individuals in Washington and Tyrrell counties can now apply for federal assistance.
Portions of the state remain under flood warnings. The Neuse River at Kinston also reached record-high levels and is not expected to drop below major flood stage until late Wednesday. The Lumber River is currently receding throughout Robeson County, and is expected to drop below major flood stage this afternoon.
The Tar River has dropped below major flood stage at Tarboro, but it is not expected to drop below major flood stage in Greenville until Tuesday morning. The Cape Fear River has now crested and is currently receding in all areas. All the rivers should be below flood stage by October 24 at the latest. Governor McCrory reiterated that there are no plans to voluntarily release water upstream from dams.
The number of statewide power outages continues to drop, down to only 1,900 from a peak of over 800,000.
Over 600 roads remain closed through central and eastern North Carolina due to damage or flooding, but Governor McCrory announced that the North Carolina Department of Transportation has re-opened I-95 today. The governor reminded drivers not to rely on GPS devices for road closure and detour information. Call 5-1-1 or download the ReadyNC app, for the latest road closure updates.
Monetary contributions to the North Carolina Disaster Relief Fund for Hurricane Matthew can be made by texting NCRECOVERS to 30306 or by visiting NCDisasterRelief.org. This is one of the best ways to help fund long-term recovery efforts. Additionally, information regarding monetary donations to recognize North Carolina relief organizations can be found at NCVoad.org, a fast, flexible and effective method of assisting North Carolinians who are in need.
Monetary contributions help ensure a steady flow of important services to those impacted.
Monetary contributions to recognized disaster relief organizations are a fast, flexible and effective method of donating. Organizations on the ground know what items and quantities are needed.
Local organizations spend the money in the local affected community, accelerating its economic recovery.
Monetary donations, rather than un-solicited donated goods, avoid the complicated, costly and time-consuming process of collecting, transporting and distributing these goods.
For more information about hurricane recovery in your area, call 2-1-1. For more details about Hurricane Matthew impacts and relief efforts, vist the Hurricane Matthew resource site. Follow N.C. Emergency Management on Twitter and Facebook for the latest on Hurricane Matthew.
No Special Session For Hurricane Matthew PDF Print E-mail
State Government
By Donna Martinez   
Thursday, 13 October 2016 14:15
Legislative leaders have rejected a call from Democratic legislators for a special session to deal with the damage in the wake of Hurricane Matthew. 
Senate Minority Leader Dan Blue, a Raleigh Democrat, and two of his Senate colleagues said at a news conference that the legislature should meet to address the expansive needs brought on by flooding.
A special session of the legislature in 1999 appropriated more than $836 million to help homeowners, farmers and businesses recover from Hurricane Floyd.
That 1999 session was not called until about three months after the hurricane. Blue said there is no reason to wait this year.
Republicans disagreed. Senate leader Phil Berger and House Speaker Tim Moore sent out a statement saying it would be “imprudent to try to determine long-term needs until floodwaters recede and immediate threats to safety are controlled.”
About a third of the state’s counties are a federal disaster area. Flooding has forced thousands of people out of homes and into shelters, shuttered businesses and schools, and destroyed crops.
McCrory said this week the state has enough in disaster funds to last until February. By that time, the legislature will be back for its regular session.
Last Updated on Thursday, 13 October 2016 14:30
McCrory Tours Flood Raveged Fayetteville; Says More Severe Flooding To Come PDF Print E-mail
State Government
By Administrator   
Monday, 10 October 2016 16:19
Governor Pat McCrory joined local officials and emergency responders today to see first-hand the damage in Fayetteville caused by severe flooding from Hurricane Matthew.
“North Carolina is resilient, our people are strong and we are going to get through this together,” said Governor McCrory. “This storm is still impacting people in a big way. You have got to see it to believe all the devastation that has occurred.”
Governor McCrory joined Fayetteville Mayor Nat Robertson and emergency responders as they toured damage at Lafayette Park and area washouts along Gillespie Street.
There have now been 11 confirmed storm-related fatalities, the most recent occuring in Gates County.
There have been more than 700 swift water rescues in Cumberland County alone, where boat rescue teams from other states have also joined the effort. Other state rescue resources deployed to Fayetteville include the state’s Helo-Aquatic Rescue Teams and North Carolina National Guard troops with high water rescue vehicles.
Currently, five shelters open in Cumberland County housing nearly 200 occupants. The state has sent ice, bottled water, tents, cots and a mobile water treatment center to help in Cumberland County during this time of need. 
The governor emphasized that this will be a prolonged event as rivers will be cresting throughout the coming week in areas including Lumberton, Kinston, Greenville and Rocky Mount in addition to Fayetteville.
Governor McCrory also thanked state officials for their commitment to fiscal responsibility in upholding his recommendation to invest in the state’s rainy day fund, bringing the total to an all-time-high of $1.6 billion.   
Parts of I-95 near Fayetteville remain closed due to flooding. For the latest road updates, call 5-1-1. For those needing information regarding the storm, including nearby shelter, housing, and other storm-related details, call 2-1-

Page 1 of 8
Copyright 2011 - All Rights Reserved
3012 Highwoods Blvd., Suite 200
Raleigh, NC 27604
Telephone: (919) 790-9392