State Government
DHHS - 50% Of Adult North Carolinians Have At :East One COVID Vaccine PDF Print E-mail
State Government
By Administrator   
Thursday, 06 May 2021 12:06
The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services today announced more than 50% of adults 18 and older in the state have received at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine. More than 43% of the adult population is fully vaccinated against the virus.
 
"This is as significant milestone toward our goal of stopping the spread of COVID-19 and bringing summer back to North Carolina," said NCDHHS Secretary Mandy K. Cohen, M.D. "I hope you will join the more than 4 million people who have taken their shot and help put this pandemic behind us."
 
To date, the state has administered more than 7.4 million vaccines. More than 74% of the population over 65 years of age is fully vaccinated, and nearly 40% of the total population of the state, regardless of age, has received at least one dose.
 
The department is working to ensure receiving a COVID-19 vaccine is easy and convenient for anyone 16 and older. The vaccine is widely available through a variety of providers, often with no wait time and without the need for an appointment. To find a vaccine in your area, use the Find a Vaccine Location tool or call 888-675-4567.
 
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention last week shared an updated list of what fully vaccinated people can do. Activities include gathering indoors with other fully vaccinated people without wearing a mask or staying 6 feet apart, as well as moving freely outdoors without wearing a mask except in certain crowded settings and venues. Fully vaccinated people who have been around someone who has COVID-19 do not need to stay away from others or get tested, unless symptoms develop.
 
If North Carolina continues to work together, improve key metrics and increase vaccination rates, the state is poised to lift mandatory social distancing, capacity and mass gathering restrictions on June 1, 2021. Additionally, the state has set a goal to get two-thirds of adults vaccinated with at least one shot in order to lift the indoor mask mandate and lighten other public health recommendations. The timeline for this benchmark will be determined by how quickly North Carolinians get vaccinated.
 
DHHS Reaches Milestone With $1 Billion of Food for More Than 1 Million Children PDF Print E-mail
State Government
By Administrator   
Thursday, 29 April 2021 16:27
 As of April 27, 2021, the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services in partnership with the NC Department of Public Instruction has provided more than $1 billion of groceries to more than a million children impacted by school closings during the pandemic. North Carolina was one of the first four states to receive federal approval of the Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) program when it launched.
 
“North Carolina recognized from the start that school closings had the potential to create a child hunger crisis,” said NCDHHS Chief Deputy Secretary for Opportunity and Well-Being Susan Gale Perry. “We moved as fast as possible so children who normally received their meals at school would still have regular, nutritious meals.”
 
North Carolina has consistently been one of the fastest states to issue P-EBT benefits for eligible children and began issuing P-EBT to students within three weeks of its plan being accepted. It is one of 35 states approved to provide P-EBT to eligible children and students through the remainder of the 2020-2021 school year.
 
The P-EBT program was launched at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic to help families purchase food for children whose access to free and reduced-price meals at school has been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. P-EBT benefits are entirely federally funded and the program is authorized by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The program provides a benefit on an EBT card that can be used to buy food at authorized food and grocery retailers, including most major grocery stores.
 
More information about the P-EBT program can be found at www.ncdhhs.gov/PEBT. For the latest information on COVID-19, visit nc.gov/covid19. 
 
Last Updated on Thursday, 29 April 2021 16:28
 
DHHS Creates Pathway For Temporary Nursing Home Staff To Receive Higher Credentialing PDF Print E-mail
State Government
By Administrator   
Thursday, 29 April 2021 16:24
The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services’ Division of Health Service Regulation today announced it has made a new temporary pathway available for individuals who worked in nursing homes during the COVID-19 pandemic as temporary nurse aides to be listed on the Nurse Aide I Registry.
 
Eligible nursing home staff may use their on-the-job training and experience as an equivalency to the traditional classroom training and take the Nurse Aide I competency examination and be listed on the registry after successfully completing it.
 
In recognition of their on-the-job training and experience during the COVID-19 pandemic, and in an effort to retain a valuable trained workforce, DHSR’s Health Care Personnel Education and Credentialing Section established this temporary pathway.  
 
“The department has worked hard, especially during the pandemic, to support our long-term care facilities and being able to strengthen their workforce is a major part of keeping residents safe and well taken care of,” said NCDHHS Secretary Mandy K. Cohen, M.D.
 
To make eligible nursing home staff aware of this opportunity, the nurse aide training equivalency application has been distributed to all nursing home administrators in the state. After the application is submitted and reviewed, the applicant may be approved to take the Nurse Aide I competency examination and be listed on the registry after successfully completing it.
 
This initiative is in addition to NCDHHS adopting rules during the COVID-19 pandemic that provided a pathway for more than 2,000 nurse aides in other states to apply and be granted reciprocity to work as a Nurse Aide I in North Carolina. 
 
 
Governor Calls For Special Prosecutor In Pasquotank County Killing PDF Print E-mail
State Government
By Administrator   
Tuesday, 27 April 2021 17:10
Governor Roy Cooper has called for a special prosecutir to investigate the law enforcement shooting and killing of Andrew Brown Jr., 42, in Paquotank County on April 21. The governor issued the following statement:
 
"In the interest of justice and confidence in the judicial system, I believe a special prosecutor should handle all matters regarding the shooting in Pasquotank County. This would help assure the community and Mr. Brown’s family that a decision on pursuing criminal charges is conducted without bias. This position is consistent with the change in the law recommended by our Task Force for Racial Equity in Criminal Justice which calls for a special prosecutor in police shootings, and I believe the law should be changed to help ensure it"
Last Updated on Tuesday, 27 April 2021 17:14
 
«StartPrev123456789NextEnd»

Page 1 of 9
Copyright 2011 - All Rights Reserved
3012 Highwoods Blvd., Suite 200
Raleigh, NC 27604
Telephone: (919) 790-9392