• Google Bookmarks
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Digg
  • reddit
Tillis And Cunningham Agree To September Debate PDF Print E-mail
The Campaign Trail
By Administrator   
Friday, 29 May 2020 08:42
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Senator Tillis today accepted an invitation to participate in a U.S. Senate candidate debate that will be hosted by Nexstar on September 22nd. The hour long debate will take place at WNCN studios in Raleigh and will begin at 7:00 p.m. This is the first debate that Tillis has accepted. 
 
“While my focus right now is protecting the physical and economic health of the nation, there will still be an election this November and it is critical that North Carolinians have opportunities to hear directly from the candidates about where they stand on the issues,” said Senator Tillis. “I am proud of the policies that I helped implement as Speaker and in the Senate that transformed the economies of North Carolina and the nation, and I look forward to taking the stage in the fall to discuss my plans to lead us out of this pandemic and back to prosperity once again.” 
 
Both Senator Tillis and Cal Cunningham previously agreed to participate in three spring debates with Spectrum News beginning in April. Shortly after the March 3rd primary, Spectrum News reached out to both the Tillis and Cunningham campaigns to facilitate a meeting so that debate negotiations could commence. The Tillis campaign immediately responded with its availability to meet. The Cunningham campaign's slow response and the acceleration of the COVID-19 outbreak led all planning discussions to stall. 
 
“Senator Tillis consistently makes himself accessible to the media and the public, and our campaign believes it's in the state's best interest for North Carolinians to see the candidates debate as much as possible,” said campaign manager Luke Blanchat. “The Cunningham campaign clearly does not hold the same view. We are excited that Nexstar has stepped up to provide this opportunity and are hopeful that Spectrum News as well as other news organizations will issue additional invitations in the near future.”
 
The Nexstar debate will be carried live on television and streamed live online in the Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville North Carolina television market on CBS affiliate WNCN-TV. Additionally, the debate will be carried on Nexstar Media Group stations WSPA (CBS)/WYCW (CW) Asheville/Spartanburg, WGHP (FOX) Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point, WJZY (FOX)/WMYT (MY NETWORK) Charlotte, WNCT (CBS) Greenville, New Bern, WAVY (NBC) WVBT (FOX) Norfolk, VA (covering the Outer Banks). This is the largest commercial station statewide coverage available.
Last Updated on Friday, 29 May 2020 08:44
 
Copyright 2011 - All Rights Reserved
3012 Highwoods Blvd., Suite 200
Raleigh, NC 27604
Telephone: (919) 790-9392